Sunday, March 11, 2012

New : Weezer - 'The 8 bit album'


After a lifetime searching I have finally found the geekiest album of all time in the shape of this little gem, a tribute album dedicated to reworking the back catalogue of dork rock denizens Weezer via bleepy 8-bit music software. This should be agonisingly irritating, especially to the hungover shadow of myself that found it here whilst poking around online this morning but it somehow manages to eschew the trappings of hipster nerd culture and comes off as a decent collection of catchy bleep tracks. Nordloef's manic rehash of 'Buddy Holly' will put a smile on your face and Bitshifter's Europop take on 'The world has turned and left me here' would slot nicely into any DJ set with the likes of Crystal Castles, Teeth etc. What's more, it prompted me to revisit 'Pinkerton' and 'The Blue Album' for a reminder of what a good songwriter Rivers Cuomo was before his band turned into a corporate soundtrack for nerd culture and Threadless T-shirts. Despite my better judgement, I think this is ace. Scott Pilgrim would certainly approve.

No comments: