Friday, June 22, 2012

New : Jack White - 'Blunderbuss'


Another tardy one here as I actually got this a couple of months ago when it came out, conveniently coupled with the unexpected chance to see Monsieur White bust it all out live on election night in Paris (first round, not second) on what was quite a dramatic evening. To be fair I hadn't really got my head around the album by that point so I thought I'd leave myself long enough to get into 'Blunderbuss' before I posted on it. I was never massively into the White Stripes to be perfectly honest - I think I recognise their impact more than I actually want to listen to their music, it's always been there in the background so I've never had to get off my arse to really check it out in detail. Plus, Jack's assorted spin-off projects have been around to fill in any gaps in the calendar so even when the Stripes weren't touring their own records or putting out new material there was still something else to get your teeth into. What I'm trying to say is that I probably took the White Stripes for granted and, now they're not around, maybe I'm starting to realise how much I miss them. There's also the fact that 'Blunderbuss' sounds considerably more sincere than the retro-blues cabaret act that the Stripes became at times - Jack's new solo stuff twists the familiar formula into a new, intensely personal shape without losing any of the riffs and rhythm that made you want to shake that ass to 'Hotel Yorba' back in the day. I hate it when they say artists have matured because it tends to imply that their earlier stuff was puerile and meaningless but Jack's clearly reached a point where he's confident enough to put his own thoughts to music knowing he has the audience there to listen. 

Some of the other reviews I've read of this album focus heavily on the fact that Jack's split with his missus as well as with Meg since his last musical output, and whilst it's probably a major factor in the new delivery there are clearly other influences at work here. Opener 'Missing Pieces' and stonking lead single 'Love Interruption' have 'DIVORCE' stamped all over them but beyond that there's the sound of a dude closing the chapter on a decade he help soundtrack, splitting his band up and flushing his first marriage to emerge leaner, stronger and more wordly wise into a new age. NOBODY is going to listen to this record just because it was made by the same guy that wrote 'Seven Nation Army' - Jack solo is like Paul Weller post-Jam, Björk post-Sugarcubes or Dr Dre post-NWA, artists that only hit their stride when they've buried one decent band and set out doing their own thing knowing how the business works. Critics will pore over the wounded lion lyrics of 'Weep themselves to sleep' or the title track whilst riff-hungry newcomers will fill their boots on stuff like the thunderous 'Sixteen Saltines' or the marvellously hammy 'I'm shakin' ('I'm shakin'!!! I'm NOIVOUS!!'). There's enough upright piano and slide guitar to bring in the alt-country beardstrokers but Jack still keeps his sound fresh and beefy enough to blow away any garage rock chancers looking to steal his festival slots. 'Blunderbuss' is a potent brew of muscular rhythm, soulful delivery and riffs that could push a Volvo up a staircase, all busted out by a guy who only now looks like he's fulfilling his potential as rock's finest gentleman. And with a bunch of new dudes backing him up for the live show Jack's now got the songs and the artillery to blow your sockets in a whole new way. With the Stripes dead and buried and the Black Keys having taken over the 'blues music for car adverts' niche market, the road is open to Jack White to take us where he wants. I'm strappin' in for what will hopefully turn out to be a series of awesome follow-ups to this thoroughly bitchin' debut.


Check out : the new line-up busting the fuck out of 'Sixteen Saltines' live on Joolz Holland.

No comments: