Monday, March 19, 2012

New : A Place to Bury Strangers - 'Onwards to the Wall'

Fuzz pedal fetishists return to the fray with a new stopgap release. Wooo! These guys have been keeping it pretty quiet since their face-melting second album 'Exploding Head' back in 2009 so it's good to have some new shit to wreck your eardrums again. 'Onwards to the Wall' hits the ground in much the same way the more accessible bits of their last record did, opener 'I Lost You' matches 'Keep Slipping Away' for psychedelic slipstream and the title track has a cool female vocal part to sweeten the mix. If you're not familiar with these guys already then think Black Rebel Motorcycle Club on warped vinyl with vocals recorded at the bottom of a swimming pool. As it the case for most of the new guitar music I like these days, this sort of stuff gives me a nostalgia boner for primetime shoegaze back in the early 90s - you can imagine these guys on the ITV Chart Show's indie rundown gazing menacingly from a publicity still while their music throbs in the background. Infact, I think the EP format probably suits them better than the full album alternative - as addictive as this stuff is, eking out 10-12 tracks with enough variety isn't always easy and it's probably a safer bet to crank out a 15-minute fuzzbomb every so often to keep things sounding fresh. These guys still slay live too - I don't think I've ever been so glad that I brought earplugs to a gig as the first time I saw them lay waste to La Maroq. It was positively seismic, I nearly shat my brains out via my trouser leg. Remember kiddies, plugs aren't always necessary but keep a pair in your jacket just in case! Health warnings aside, APTBS still put a foot up in that ass and Dr Sykes recommends you get on this quickety quick.

Check out : 'So far away'. I don't know what the deuce is going on in this video but the song rules.

No comments: