Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New : Bear in Heaven - 'I love you, it's cool'

Would you like another helping of hipster electro Sir? No I would not my good man! I would like gaggles of sexy girls with guitars playing dronegaze noise pop naked in my front room if you please, not some dude with a hitler tash wearing half mast trousers and dancing round his Casio keyboard. Where's the fucking Dum Dum Girls when you need 'em??? Anyhow, with things quiet on the chick rock front I've been checking out some Pitchfork-friendly electronica recently and Portland's Bear in Heaven eventually grabbed my attention with this luvved-up ravetronic indie gem. These guys seem to have flung out a couple of records already which sounded cool enough when I gave 'em a whirl but didn't jump out at you enough to warrant laying down some hard cash - although check out the promo for 'Shining and Free' from their previous LP 'Red Bloom of the Boom' which I may well come back to later on this evidence. Their singer looks like the guy from Korn who found God and comes in for some WEIRD treatment, so if the whole record trips as much balls as this then maybe I'll pick it up later. Right now newby 'I love you, it's cool' is my fave (new) rave of the minute and sees the dudes bathe deeply in electric ectsasy to awesome effect. Imagine Animal Collective if they dropped the whole hypnotic thing and floated further into the love dimension, or even Daft Punk when they go full-on disco throb. You can dance to this stuff but it doesn't panda to any clichés of dance music (ha!), these guys have just hit a wave of warm energy and ride it out over ten tracks here for one luscious end product. This gives me the same buzz as prime-era baggy veterans Paris Angels (though it sounds nothing like them), gorgeous luvved-up electro-psychedelia tailor-made for wide-mouthed gurning on the dancefloor. OooooohwaaaAAAAHH! Bear in Heaven have a stupid name but their music RULES. Imagine a chilled-out grizzly bear relaxing in a fluffy pillow slurping on a pot of honey laced with quaaludes and flanked by beautiful girly bears with well-stocked pickernick baskets and you're most of the way there. This is the most yummylicious electro I've heard in ages, straight outta leftfield but well worth your time and attention. 'I love you, it's cool' sounds like the sort of thing hippies would say (you guys aren't HIPPIES are you?) but don't let that put you off, they're having too good a time for us not to join them. This is one synth snuggle you're not gonna want to miss.

Check out : 'Reflection of you' which has a cool video - but seriously, get the whole album.

No comments: