Monday, December 17, 2012

The Alternative Advent Calendar : 14/24

The Three Tenors - Jingle Bells



In what is perhaps the ultimate waste of good voices on crappy material, here's Carreras, Domingo and Big Daddy Pav' busting out 'Yingle Bells' as a light-hearted excerpt from one of their massive concerts in the 90s. I'm not really into my opera but I can kinda see why people like this stuff - there's enough lung capacity on that front stage to blow a Volvo up a fire escape. I think my favourite is José Carreras, the wee guy in the middle - he's got a kind of gangster aura about him, like Joe Pesci in the Scorcese films, the small ball of fiery energy that'll bust your skull for looking at him the wrong way. I mean, voices like that can only command respect can't they? If these dudes turned up on your doorstep for a spot of carol singing (even without the symphony orchestra and castrato kiddie choir to back them up) I think I'd bust out my chequebook to make sure they didn't take offence and blow my fucking house down. Placido Domingo was good humoured enough to let Sesame Street immortalise him as a pink flamingo back in the day though and Pavarotti even managed to bag himself an opera crossover hit with 'Nessum Dorma' back in the heady days of Italia '90. These guys have such pedigree that they can even make a pony Xmas tune sound bombastic. Reeeeespect!


No comments: